Thursday 3 February 2011

Great Books - 19th August 2010

I'm reading a fantastic book and I am pleased to report that it was part of the aforementioned (in my previous post) 3 for 2. You see, buying books is a good idea. Justification, if it was ever needed. The book I'm reading is Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. You must read it. I've been trying to put my finger on what is so good about it, not as some high brow critic (which I am clearly not!) but for me, as a real reader (and book buyer). It's an incredibly simple book in many ways. I haven't had to re read sections, or wonder where I am in it or forgotten who any of the characters are. This may make me sound like a bit of a dumbo but I, like most of the population, read when I'm exhausted from a full day at work and usually fall asleep after one page. Something about this story is jumping the hurdles to reach the place all books aspire to be, it is becoming un-put-down-able.
 
 This got me thinking about what exactly it is about this one that is hooking me in (I have discarded many, many books recently) and how I can use these lessons in my own story. I have lots of polishing to do and still a big chunk left to write so this is all very topical for me right now. So far I've narrowed it down to a few things:

No comments:

Post a Comment