Sunday 21 April 2013

Weekend Crafting and Book Love

This weekend has been a veritable feast of crafting and enjoying all things beautiful. The weekend started off with my husband meeting me from the train with a copy of the Great British Sewing Bee book that I had bee drooling over in a bookshop a couple of days previously. As he was off to a football match he thought it might keep me entertained in his absence. And oh yes it did!

Every since I started watching the show I've been dying to try out making clothes for myself. It has been on my radar for a while, largely because I cannot even begin to consider wearing the shirts that most clergy outfitter produce and fitting is notoriously difficult (and expensive). So to save myself from fashion disaster and serious money troubles I thought learning to make my own would be the best way forwards.

And so without further ado, here is my first attempt at a top modelled for you in a super pose-y photo!


What do you think, alternative career as a model?! Ha!

I think my favourite part is the back which I jazzed up with some buttons that I picked up for 2p each in Oxfam!



It was so easy to make, really, and it fits like a dream. I'm now on the hunt for more cool fabrics to make a slightly longer version.

As well as doing lots of sewing I headed down to a second hand and antique book fair where I, wait for it, TOUCHED A 17th CENTURY SHAKESPEARE!!! It was so amazing and I found the most remarkable (and reasonable priced) find -  a book on the Apostle Paul (who I study for my course) from the 1870s with an inscription in the front of my, not very common, maiden name. Truly wonderful.



So that was my weekend, how about yours?

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! Brilliant for a first attempt, Nicola. I await your clerical shirts with bated breath. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your top! I have never contemplated making clothes for fear I would end up looking like I was wearing a glorified bin bag, but I am feeling inspired to possibly give it a go, thanks to you! A number of my colleagues have recommended the Great British Sewing Bee to me, but I haven't watched it yet. I feel I must : )
    Also, how beautiful is that handwriting in the front of your book?! I would love to be able to write like that.
    My weekend started off with a mammoth cupcake baking session, followed by plenty of relaxing, church, and a little bit of work : )

    ReplyDelete